Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hospital Food: Bizu at St Luke's Medical Center Global City

I was on my way to another doctor appointment when I got a message from his secretary that he would be at the office at 6:45pm instead of 5:30pm. Instead of getting frustrated, upon arrival at St Luke's Medical Center Global City, I decided to crutch myself to one of the restaurants and have my first hot, restaurant meal since my accident.

Was I excited!

I ran into Marielle who was there for a pediatric check-up for her son, Bash. When she saw me, utter shock registered on her face. "Oh my God, you are so thin!" she exclaimed. "I didn't recognize you. You look like you did in high school!" Yes, because of resting at home for the last 2 weeks I lost 4 more pounds despite all the good efforts of my friends who sent me food. Well, I guess it is a happy side effect, much like taking glutathione makes you white, I suppose.

Even better reason for me to pig out on my quest to a cafe.

There were quite a few choices here: Via Mare, Market on 5th, Starbucks, Bizu and Cafe Mary Grace.










I chose Bizu because 1) I was in the mood for breakfast food and 2) I knew its menu already very well and 3) it had a good cross section of different food.

As soon as I arrived, a kind man helped me choose a table and even put my crutches against the wall. Being on crutches does make one seem sort of helpless.

I opened the menu and scanned all the breakfast food but nothing quite appealed to me. If I wanted Eggs Benedict, it would be the one from Apt 1B. If I wanted a Croque Madame, I wanted the one from Wild Flour. So I decided to order a USDA sirloin beef burger with Gruyere and caramelized onions, cooked medium on a whole wheat bun minus the weird stuff like honey mustard dressing. Then I told myself I would get a crepe Suzette for dessert.

I also ordered a dalandan juice which was a bit on the sweet side so I watered it down. I kept the menu like it was a magazine or something. Talk about being deprived.

I noticed the menu offered flavored kefir yogurt drinks. After my experience making my own kefir, a yogurt drink full of probiotics, which I drank each morning, looking at the photos made me gag a little.

My burger arrived and at first it looked as if a French onion soup threw up on it. I decided that the caramelized onions were too much so I scraped it all off and just ate the burger with the cheese and tomato and lettuce. On the outside it looked well done but once I made it to the inside it was perfectly pink - a thoroughly satisfying meal.

I didn't have time to order a crepe as it was already 6:30pm and I had to hobble to my doctor's office.
I'm happy to say that my visit was very uplifting: he said my wound was healing nicely and that I could walk now and get out of the house. Praise God!

Perhaps on my next visit to the doctor I will visit Mary Grace cafe for some hot chocolate with chili and cake. I am sure I will make a visit to each of those cafes before I am completely healed. Truly good food is food for the soul.


Old world feel of Bizu

Yummy pastries and macarons on display by the counter

No comments:

Post a Comment