Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Spreading like Wild Fire: Wildflour Cafe and Bakery

EVERYONE was talking about it. Fellow foodies couldn't stop themselves from eating here more than once in one week. It seemed to be the new astounding discovery of the century, aside from stem cells.

So of course I had to go. 

Stephanie had eaten dinner there with her family on Friday night, but she said it was more of a brunch place. I wanted to catch the place while it was in its first few weeks of soft opening. So on the following Saturday morning, I decided that Antonio and I were going to Wildflour to see what all the fuss was all about. The day was a super rainy day where you could see the rain sideways - perfect day for a good ol' pig out. 

I liked the vibe of the place. White brick walls, high exposed ceilings and big picture windows gave it an airy atmosphere. It almost felt as if you were in New York or LA or something. At 2pm it was still filled with people.






I thoroughly enjoyed the freshly baked good on display. The kind that makes kids not want to eat their lunch. Freshly baked ciabatta, cupcakes, bombolinis and oh so much more beckoned to regular diners and tried to seduce dieters on the Cohen. O! Foul carb! 


Ciabatta saying, "Eat me!"

This handwritten blackboard made me crave breakfast food but unfortunately I was too late. Really? No brunch food at a brunch place? Feeling a little like a jilted Juliet, we had to order off the regular menu.


Based on the reviews of JJ and my cousin Tricia, I decided that I absolutely had to have the Tarte Flambe. And it was a monster.


Mercifully this bad boy with Gruyere, bacon and caramelized onions was light and crispy. It may look like a pizza but it was on a delicate flaky crusty flatbread. A perfect appetizer for a main course. The next dish that came was the prawns with tomato.


The prawns were huge but its texture was soft and mushy. We had to send it back for more cooking. 
Definitely a miss. I wanted to order the Bahn Mi Sliders but unfortunately they had run out it. Instead, Antonio opted for the Chicken Meatball Sandwich.

 
Oh my. This sandwich, as you can see, was simply a mess to eat. I am a big believer in eating a sandwich with your hands and not having to use a knife and fork (come on! it's a SANDWICH!). But to save my outfit from any potential stain disorder, I think I had to use utensils to eat this. The bread was great but the chicken meatball was meh. 

This experience was a great experiment in the higher expectations are, the lower you fall. Thank God for their dessert which saved this sinking ship. We ordered the Chocolate Pot de Creme with nuts on the side (I am allergic to peanuts and walnuts and since they didn't know what nuts it came with they gave it to us on the side. It turned out to be almonds, which I can eat, and love!)
The pot de creme was sooooo good, after one bite I told Antonio I wanted my own! But it was also rich and I was just being a glutton. So in the end, we didn't order another one but decided to have some tea to settle our tummies.  

We didn't see what all the fuss was about. So I decided that I had to come back IN TIME FOR REAL BRUNCH. And with minimal expectations.



Wildflour Cafe and Bakery
G/F Net Lima Building 4th Avenue cor 26th Street
Bonifacio Global City
Tel +632.856.7600
Open 8am to 10pm

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on sandwiches! When I'm forced to eat it with utensils (because it's too big or complicated) I always feel it doesn't taste as good!

    The croque madame in Wildflour is good too :) I like the place on the whole but I've had some misses too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all those food pics!! it makes me crave for it. Wildflour Cafe and Bakery is still one of the places that I needed to try when I'm back in the metro. I mean just look how appetizing all those food are. Lovely post.

    https://awomansmodedevie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete